Friday, April 25, 2008

Making Great Music

Thinking out load on the web is a risky business, but it has it's benefits. With a little help from your friends it can lead to a deeper insight. The logic of the case made by Yardena and Andrew in response to my original post on Man versus Machine made sense, but it still left me feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Had my artistic analogy run out of steam?:

I love reggae music. I grew up on it: Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaac, the reggae greats of the 1970's. In recent times Reggae as become more commercial with modern"artists" placing less emphasis on spirituality. I find this change rather regrettable, because without spirit the music becomes just noise.

Then I got to thinking more about those old Reggae classics. If you listen to the original vinyls the music is punctuated by pops and clicks, and even drop outs in places. Sir Clement "Coxsone"Dodd, the owner of the Studio One record label had humble facilities at his recording studio in Kingston Jamaica. I believe many of those originals were recorded using nothing but a simple eight track in a small unsound proofed room.

Some of those classics have been remastered, which gets rid of the pops and clicks, but sometimes you loose a bit of the feel too. Don't get me wrong those old classics are still great pieces of Music, but imagine how they would have sounded if Clement Dodd had the benefit of Modern Recording facilities back then? Great Musicians and Singers with great tools. Hmm...

2 comments:

Andy said...

Paul, I used to have a large collection of vinyl from back in the 70s and 80s. I don't view the differences between those older records and modern one to be that great. Its the art itself that's important and not the media or the tools.

David Bailey could still have taken breathtaking shots with a crap camera almost as well as with his top of the range kit.

Guess what I am trying to say is that IMHO, its still the artist that's most important, whether they have the best tools available, or the worst.

Paul Beckford said...

Hi Andrew,

I feel the same. Which is why I love Smalltalk so. It focused on the Art not the tool.

Gilad is supposed to be producing a better Smalltalk with Newspeak. I need to watch his presentation.

He may be focusing on the Art too, whilst acknowledging that a modern Digital SLR is far more easy to use and flexible then the old film based SLRs used to be.

I'm going to suspend judgement and watch his presentation. Once I've watched it I'll write a post.