Anyway... There is an existing implementation, but the data generation, plotting, and rendering are all terribly intermingled. The rest of the app has been rewritten to get away from an abstract data model (don't ask, it ran like a dog), but the new charting was still yet to be done. So we needed the old chart, but we didn't want the old data generation bit.
How to proceed? Well I started with a standard JFreeChart Plot that sort of did what we needed, a ScatterPlot - A GREEN bar. So what to do next? Well the guts of the dataset code could be clearly identified scattered around the old code, so I copied and pasted that code from the old to the new. A few changes, and the creation of some canned data and... GREEN bar ( a running scatter plot using a CCQ dataset). The CCQ Chart shows rectangular data points of varying colours (DataItems) depending on the quality. For example a "compliant" dataItem is green and a "failed" item is red etc. The old renderer did this so we copied and pasted the old rendering code - GREEN bar (a running scatter plot with CCQ data and CCQ colour rendering). Along the way we identified lots of small refactors that needed to be done, but we just to a note of them. After all we didn't have a true green bar as our plot wasn't exactly the same as the original. We did the same process with the "Plot" and... Again with a bit of work GREEN bar.
Now we had the three main components needed for a chart: a custom dataset, renderer and plot. Our chart factory was still the original Scatter Plot, but everything else had been migrated to custom CCQ charting code. Yet our plot didn't look like the original. We were missing the labels on the Y axis and couldn't work out why.
After a while head scratching we decided to plug our new dataset, renderer and plot into the old code. We then refactored the old "factory" until it was all in one place and looked similar to ours. After each small change we would run the code and check that everything was still GREEN. We finally got down to the final difference. The refactored old code didn't set the chart orientation, relying on the default our new factory did. So we decided to add it this line of code to the old code and BANG, RED bar. It turns out that all we needed to do was remove this line from our new code - still not sure why though, possibly a bug in the JFreeChart library.
So time for a mini retrospective. What where the lessons learned:
- You don't need JUNIT to do TDD. Often if the code compiles and runs then that is a good indicator of a GREEN bar. You may only have partial functionality, but if your code does what you expect it to do, then that's a GREEN bar.
- Refactoring to patterns really works. It allowed us to make some real big refactors in one step. We identified our target design by looking at the JFreeChart ScatterPlot code.
- When refactoring on the grand scale, getting the overall structure right and getting back to a green bar as soon as possible is the main goal. Small local refactors can happen later. By keeping a list of refactors you are able to choose the order in which to do them.
- always "listen" to the code. Code smells will tell you what to refactor. Commenting out declarations and seeing the resultant errors in your IDE also tells you a lot. A refactor with a lot of dependencies isn't a good candidate to do first, because it could leave you on a RED bar for a long time. Do something easier first, and get back to GREEN .
- If you find yourself on a RED bar for a long time, then undo the change, get back GREEN, and make a series of smaller changes. This is how we identified the orientation bug. If an ambitious refactor is failing you always have the option to go back and take smaller steps.
- Small refactors are better. In hindsight, after identifying our target design pattern, we should have refactored the old code to the new design in small steps, rather than copy and paste. We would probably have maintained a better rhythm and learned more about the old code, whilst spending shorter intervals on RED.