Friday, October 14, 2005

REST is so Simple

In my last post I was struggling to understand REST . After looking at this example it all made sense. Almost too simple to be true. After reading the dissertation , I was expecting REST to be a lot more complex than it is. In practice the REST style (set of architectual constraints) is simplicity itself.

If you intend to read the dissertation, make sure and read chapter 1 before reading chapter 5. Chapter 1 gives a precise definition of terms, which you'll need. Or if you're like me, just jump straight to the example. Don't be put off by its brevity; connectors, components and datums as defined by REST are all there.

Will REST win out over SOAP? Well I for one won't be using SOAP/WSDL/UDDI etc. Why would anyone want to use that stuff given the choice?

No comments: