- The assumption of rational choice - People will do what is rational.
- The assumption of intent - Everything that happens is done intentionally.
- The assumption of order - Organisations are well ordered, rule based entities.
- probe-sense-respond - for complex organisations and,
- act-sense-respond - for chaotic ones.
This is very different to the sense-categorize-respond approach that has been traditionally taken (for example Business Process Engineering). They point out that the traditional approach is best suited to ordered organisations.
Here is a link to their paper:
A bit of a heavy read. Thankfully the approach they recommend for complex/chaotic organisations, namely probe/act-sense-respond is already widely known as suck-it-and-see :^).